For the past year now (COVID), it has taken me about 45 seconds every morning to get to my workplace, which is now set up at home. My employer has even commented on our team’s increased productivity a few times. For me personally, as a young family man, this new lifestyle suits me perfectly. It has truly offered me greater flexibility and adaptability for my schedule. As a result, I have a much better work-life balance and improved physical and mental health.
Companies that, like mine, are opting to continue teleworking after COVID will see several advantages.
Here are a few facts that have been studied:
• Reduced employee turnover up to 12%¹
• Increased productivity and efficiency due to team collaboration and mobility
• Decreased operating costs estimated at $11,000/employee (buildings, office expenses, electricity, maintenance, etc.)²
• Higher level of employee commitment to the company’s mission in return for respecting their lifestyle and a more flexible schedule
• More attractive to new employees, especially young talent
Despite its downsides, the pandemic has forced us to evolve and adapt to new ways of doing things. The most innovative and progress-driven companies are no longer even asking themselves whether telework will continue, but rather how the technological transition will occur in the longer term. Which technologies and applications will become the new standards of tomorrow? Which innovations will allow us to take user experience and work productivity even further?
The evolution of telework – Current priorities
Even though many companies will tell you they have already been operating in telework mode for several months now, our experience in the field has shown us that many issues and challenges persist and that organizations are actively looking for solutions.
• Comfort and ergonomics – Adapting the physical work environment to each person’s needs.
• Speed – Accelerating deployment of new devices and services in the field.
• Performance – Providing more modern, powerful and reliable computers equipped with new technologies optimized for videoconferencing in particular.
• Connectivity – Responding to the need to be constantly connected and to access online services at all times.
• Security – Reinforcing enterprise service and data security; securing sensitive information and document sharing to better control access to information.
• Simplicity – Simplifying authentication, managing multiple passwords, connecting to desktop services, establishing standardized system configurations.
• Versatility – Understanding that each employee uses a wide range of Windows, Legacy, Web and Cloud applications, and that they want to use their computer for both personal and professional purposes without having to change devices.
• Management – Centralizing control and support, and automating workstation updates
A new generation of workstation solutions
Faced with multiple needs expressed, Converge looked into developing a commercial offer for businesses, a line of solutions that simplify workstation management more than ever. To do so, Converge decided to join forces with two important partners, Microsoft and VMware.
Bringing together our team’s expertise, establishing relationships with these manufacturers and leveraging our Configuration Services Centre, we developed this new line of solutions for businesses.
• Modern workspace: A solution for businesses that want to equip their employees with powerful and reliable devices for teleworking. A selection of devices from the Microsoft Surface portfolio. Workstations that are well equipped, configured and standardized at our Configuration Services Centre according to your norms and standards. Workstations arrive at your doorstep ready for rapid deployment.
• Connected workspace: A second solution that focuses on connectivity, security reinforcement, and connected applications and services from the Microsoft 365 platform. MS Surface devices are prepared at our Configuration Services Centre, delivered directly to users and deployed in the field thanks to the Microsoft Autopilot3 tool for a Zero-Touch® deployment experience (out-of-box experience). Surface devices are centrally managed through Microsoft Intune4 and users are managed through Microsoft Azure Cloud.5
• Virtual workspace: A third solution that literally transforms your personal computer into a Virtual workspace. This solution combines MS Surface computers as the access station, Microsoft software solutions and MS365 connected services, with the VMware Horizon solution, allowing desktop virtualization (VDI infrastructure). In this mode, users connect remotely to their virtual, secured work environments, which physically reside in the datacentre of your choice or directly on MS Azure Cloud. This solution allows you to centralize management of all your environments’ applications, data and security while moving to the Cloud era (access to your complete virtual environment, anywhere, anytime, on the connected device of your choice).
Why the Microsoft Surface line of products?
What struck us while assessing the various available technologies was that the Surface line has been designed in all respects to allow greater productivity and versatility for users. In turn, it integrates several important security and management functionalities to facilitate your IT team’s work.
- Product versatility: Surface devices have up to three use modes (PC, tablet and studio). They can also be configured in kiosk mode. The devices manage your personal and professional profiles separately.
- Connectivity: These devices allow simplified, high-performance connectivity to stay connected to available networks at all times.
- Collaboration and videoconferencing: The Surface line is equipped with high-quality HD Web cameras, studio-quality microphones and Dolby® Atmos™ speakers for a better online meeting experience. Naturally, it integrates with the Teams platform and other Microsoft 365 collaboration tools and services.
- Simplified authentication: This allows you to quickly connect, based on your profile, to all of your applications, services and data using Windows Hello.
- All-day battery life: Surface devices are equipped with a battery boasting 15 hours of life and rapid recharging ability.
- Microsoft Autopilot: Surface devices offer Zero-touch deployment with no software configuration required.
- Replacement warranty: A complete offering of additional warranties (3, 4 or 5 years) provides companies with ultra-rapid device replacement service in case of failure anywhere in the world.
We have attached a study by Forrester/TEI that confirms our assessment of the Surface line with Microsoft 365 in order to improve employee productivity and collaboration: 65e04cc910d280602b50476cc6c1689a (windows.net)
How can PCD / Converge help?
PCD would like to propose an exploratory meeting to discuss your current situation and challenges. If this is of interest, we can present in more detail the program on which we are currently working. You also have the opportunity to take advantage of a 30- to 45 day assessment program to test the solution and confirm your choice of device. One of our Microsoft technical specialists will guide you through this process and will be available should you need assistance and support (if you choose so) via training sessions and demonstrations.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us. It would be our pleasure to assist you.
1 – Remote Working Statistics 2021: 15 Exciting Trends (https://remotebliss.com/remote-working-statistics-and-trends/)
2 – Remote Work and its Increasing Popularity (https://www.helppier.com/en/benefits-of-remote-work/)
3 – Microsoft Autopilot simplifies the way devices get deployed, reset, and repurposed, with an experience that is zero touch for IT: Simplified deployment and configuration with Windows Autopilot (microsoft.com)
4 – Microsoft Intune is a Cloud-based service that focuses on mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM): Microsoft Endpoint Manager | Microsoft 365
5 – Microsoft Azure Cloud platform includes more than 200 products and services designed to help companies bring new solutions to life: What is Azure? – Microsoft Cloud computing services | Microsoft Azure